Monday 12 April 2010

Tidying up the strawberry patch

Tonight I spent 2 hrs tidying up the strawberries, yesterday they were looking a bit overgrown, I'd not sorted out any of the 2009 runners.


I had a good sort out, cleared out the weeds, got rid of the weak plants, moved plants that had settled in the wrong place and filled in gaps.






It might look a bit harsh, but there's plenty of space for these plants to grow bigger, bushier and develop mounds and mounds of strawberries (I've got my fingers crossed).

Any decent looking plants that were dug out, I potted up and they're now at home (there's 26 of them!)

They'll be used as 'spares & repairs' to replace any plants that look a bit sad/dead. I've got one of those strawberry-pots at home, so I might fill that, and any other left overs will be given to friends/colleagues.

Unfortunately I've mixed up the varieties, so can't be sure which is which, I guess it'll be a nice suprise when they fruit; I've got early, mid and late fruiting varieties (Alice, Florence & Honeoye bought in 2008 from Thompson & Morgan.)

I also came across this little fella too - he can stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment