Sunday 11 April 2010

Planting: potatoes, garlic, onion sets

Weather: bright, dry, little breeze.

I took my garlic, white onion sets and potatoes (first earlies) to plant today, I'm hoping that spring has sprung and we won't get any unexpected frosts/blizzards.

My 2 varieties of garlic (purple early and rose de lautrec) had been pre-planted in modules in January, to get them settled. I seem to have problems with garlic, it gets too wet in my raised beds. This year I thought I'd start in modules and transplant into ridged mounds to help with drainage. Bed#6.

Also in Bed#6 I've put my white onion sets (setton) in, there seemed to be hundreds of the little fellas, I stopped at 60. I'm also growing red onions from seed to compare how easy/hard it is. The onion seeds are still in the house & not yet ready for transplanting.

I've planted Pentland Javelin first earlies, I got 2 bonus seed potatoes, and they're in Bed#1, 12-18inch apart, and 18inch between the rows.

No comments:

Post a Comment