Thursday 14 April 2011

Sowing: dwarf beans, courgettes, swede squash, gourd, leeks, tomatoes

Mr Lisa has been pestering me about our tomatoes, his dad is growing them already, but his dad used to live down south and IMHO isn't ready for the northern growing season yet.  I'm planting tomatoes, when I always plant them.  End of story.  And today that day came, we've got:
  • x5 san marzano (italian, plum variety - makes a great tomato sauce)
  • x10 Greek 09 (beef variety, picked out of holiday greek salads & subsequently makes great greek salads)
  • x5 Spanish 10 (plum variety, picked out of spanish tomatoes bought on holiday last year) - nothing to compare against (fingers crossed).
I've also set off:
dwarf french beans: x15 Prince (green), x15 Purple queen (purple)
Courgette: x5 gold rush (yellow), x5 black beauty (dark green)
Swede x26
Squash x5
Gourd x10 (not for eating, more for decoration)
Leek oarsman x1 pot scattered seeds, spanish leeks (bought on holiday last year) x 2 pots scattered seed

I've also planted some random seeds I picked off some pretty flowering plants I walked past near Barx, Spain last year, I dont normally do this but thought I'd see what happened.

These are all in the lean-to greenhouse at home, out of all of them I'm a bit worried about my tomatoes as they tend to start in a heated propagator - so I might need to reconsider this if they don't show signs of life soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment