Friday 8 April 2011

Planting: cabbages

I bought some cabbages from the Grainger Market, at the same time I bought my onion sets.  I've decided that it's probably more expensive for me to buy seeds when I only grow a handful of cabbages each year, and I end up having about 6 packets of seeds which last me about 3 years (well passed their 'sow by' date).  So I bought 2 polystyrene trays of cabbage, savoy and red - about 8-10 of each, for 80p a tray.  Which I think is a bargain.

They've been planted in the allotment, in the beds next to the rhubarb.  The rhubarb is going to get picked today - I feel a rhubarb fool for dinner...

I've also had a good check up and water of all the other plants too: those spring brassicas I planted in October (we've had a few casualties), but spring cabbages are nearly ready, kale is going a little bit wild, and broccoli is beginning to spurt.  I've taken out the last of last years sprouts.


Trifle/Fool type dessert
I did harvest rhubarb, and turned it into a trifle-esque type dish: poached rhubarb in dessert wine & water, strain (but keep liquid & rhubard).
In glasses put plain sponge-cake, pour over some poaching juice & another glug of wine, add some poached rhubarb, then mix icing sugar, whipping cream, rest of poaching juice until stiff, add rest of rhubarb & stir thorough, plop on top of glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment